Welcome to The Road 2 Success Forums

Welcome to The Road 2 Success Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The Road 2 Success Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Continent Release Restrictions

Scotland2013

Currently, when you have a brand new artist with no rep, you can just release a single/album in every continent in the world (doing this helps accumulate more sales than just releasing in one continent). In reality, record labels wont release in certain continients where the artist doesnt have much rep as the cost of releasing there outweigh the sales. But it would be cool if in the game, when you select your continents, it had price attatched to it (for example, £50,000 legal fees for releasing in that continent). This would mean the player would have to decide whether its worth releasing a single or album in a continient where the artist has no rep rather than it just being free to release anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scotland2013 said:

Currently, when you have a brand new artist with no rep, you can just release a single/album in every continent in the world (doing this helps accumulate more sales than just releasing in one continent). In reality, record labels wont release in certain continients where the artist doesnt have much rep as the cost of releasing there outweigh the sales. But it would be cool if in the game, when you select your continents, it had price attatched to it (for example, £50,000 legal fees for releasing in that continent). This would mean the player would have to decide whether its worth releasing a single or album in a continient where the artist has no rep rather than it just being free to release anywhere in the world.

To add some sort of challenge to releaseing worldwide

16 hours ago, Scotland2013 said:

Yes I agree with this. Maybe they can allow digital and streaming for worldwide release but physical sales should be limited to their home continent only when starting out as fresh new artist, unless they're willing to pay a fee for global releases.

Edited by MrDash

Soimage.png.0fa99f198d203317a22be17270aa4c0a.png I think there should be a fee for all sales platforms. I'm not saying  a super high price or anything but just something that requires me (the player) to judge whether its worth selling abroad (adds a little challenge to the game where currently there isnt any). As currently, if I release a song in Europe (the artist and labels home continents) and it doesn't chart high or make a profit, I can simply release everywhere else in the world and although it won't chart there either, it makes enough sales to make a profit (which is sort of a "cheat" or easy way to always make a profit). So adding a fee to release in other continents (like paying a licence fee to release a song there) would mean that you would no longer be able to release everywhere to get an easy profit (as there are additional costs to releasing everywhere). Instead the player has to make different in-game decisions (for example, promote the artist more, get a loan, drop the artist etc.) It adds some more challenge to the game 🙂 😃 

1 hour ago, MrDash said:

Yes I agree with this. Maybe they can allow digital and streaming for worldwide release but physical sales should be limited to their home continent only when starting out as fresh new artist, unless they're willing to pay a fee for global releases.

2 minutes ago, Scotland2013 said:

Soimage.png.0fa99f198d203317a22be17270aa4c0a.png I think there should be a fee for all sales platforms. I'm not saying  a super high price or anything but just something that requires me (the player) to judge whether its worth selling abroad (adds a little challenge to the game where currently there isnt any). As currently, if I release a song in Europe (the artist and labels home continents) and it doesn't chart high or make a profit, I can simply release everywhere else in the world and although it won't chart there either, it makes enough sales to make a profit (which is sort of a "cheat" or easy way to always make a profit). So adding a fee to release in other continents (like paying a licence fee to release a song there) would mean that you would no longer be able to release everywhere to get an easy profit (as there are additional costs to releasing everywhere). Instead the player has to make different in-game decisions (for example, promote the artist more, get a loan, drop the artist etc.) It adds some more challenge to the game 🙂 😃 

type to publish it worldwide must have a rating greater than 90, or do it based on sales, for example:
new artist has "the license" to publish only singles in his continent as he is not sure of making high sales numbers, after 150k-200k of copies sold he unlocks the possibility of making the record always in his continent, then every tot copies you can unlock a new country of your choice always first for the single and then for the disc

1 hour ago, Gabryele Pio said:

type to publish it worldwide must have a rating greater than 90, or do it based on sales, for example:
new artist has "the license" to publish only singles in his continent as he is not sure of making high sales numbers, after 150k-200k of copies sold he unlocks the possibility of making the record always in his continent, then every tot copies you can unlock a new country of your choice always first for the single and then for the disc

Good suggestion, but I think doing it on song rating isn't that realistic as in reality that's not how it works. As for unlocking other continents when getting higher sales: I think this is a bit problematic for people who just want to jump straight into releasing worldwide.

I think paying for the "license" (or something in this form) each time for a single or album would be a better idea as this allows people to still immediately release worldwide if they wanted (but it just costs them more and adds a little challenge) 🙂

yes that's right, I like this idea too, for example I have a single rated +90 and I think it can sell well all over the world and therefore I pay the license to publish it all over the world.
However, in my opinion, the license should be paid only once and the price to be paid can be done based on the market value of the continents, for example in Europe the license will cost approximately one million euros, in Australia the market I think is the poorer and it will cost about 100k and so on, but it would be really nice if you could unlock it through sales, because in the end the goal of the game and of the users I think is to sell as many copies as possible

2 hours ago, Gabryele Pio said:

yes that's right, I like this idea too, for example I have a single rated +90 and I think it can sell well all over the world and therefore I pay the license to publish it all over the world.
However, in my opinion, the license should be paid only once and the price to be paid can be done based on the market value of the continents, for example in Europe the license will cost approximately one million euros, in Australia the market I think is the poorer and it will cost about 100k and so on, but it would be really nice if you could unlock it through sales, because in the end the goal of the game and of the users I think is to sell as many copies as possible

I think with this one-off high payment, it prevents people from immediately jumping into worldwide sales especially at £1 million (which some players like to do straight away). Whereas with a small 'legal fee' (or something similar) each time, it would be better as it allows players to immediately play international but also adds the challenge of managing their monely and artists. What im suggesting isn't really a license, its more of legal fees/general fees  for releasing worldwide

With unlocking things in game, it just takes away that freedom for players to do whatever they want and makes the game more of a goal based game (rather than a freestyle music simulator) 😀

9 hours ago, Gabryele Pio said:

so would you like to add this expense during release? type when selecting countries for example:
Europe: $ 120,000
North America: 80,000 and so on?

Something like this, yes. So when your on the page where you select the continents your releasing on, they could have a number in brackets next to it, which shows the cost. I just think that this would still allow players to release worldwide from the get go, but also can be a bit of a challenge and adds some gameplay when your low on money. Maybe a £50,000 price would be best but open to suggestions for this number 😁

You can make the game a little more difficult in the sense that when you go to apply for the license, it can be refused, or by using the head of marketing who tells you which continent the single can sell well on, for example:
Single X is strongly recommended to be released in:
- Europe and North America
fairly recommended in: Africa and Australasian
Not recommended in: South America and Asia

Edited by Gabryele Pio

9 hours ago, Gabryele Pio said:

You can make the game a little more difficult in the sense that when you go to apply for the license, it can be refused, or by using the head of marketing who tells you which continent the single can sell well on, for example:
Single X is strongly recommended to be released in:
- Europe and North America
fairly recommended in: Africa and Australasian
Not recommended in: South America and Asia

I'm open to a little more difficultly but not to restricting the players gameplay 😄

All good points and will certainly help for realism.

The only problem I would need to really work out is how to create a gameworld that will create enough data for the charts.

On 1/4/2021 at 19:41, Scotland2013 said:

Sono aperto a un po 'più difficile, ma non a limitare il gameplay dei giocatori 😄

well I don't think it limits gameplay
then if we want to make it more realistic, we have to make the radios work, let me explain: you can release the single anywhere but to decide whether it is valid or not, the radios decide on the basis of the passages that maybe can make you have new fans.