Welcome to The Road 2 Success Forums

Welcome to The Road 2 Success Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The Road 2 Success Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Editor Bug + Constructive Criticism

Guest marco999

Guest marco999

I also ran into a bug with the editor. I was trying to sign artists to labels (about 90% of them are unsigned) when I noticed three or four major labels were missing. I had to delete minor labels add bigger labels, like Sony, Universal and Capital Records (they're mysteriously missing from the database). I manually signed artists with the editor in alphabetical orders and decided to stop and take a break at M. I did everything there's to be done to save and when I came back, nothing saved! (I saved every time I signed I modified an artist and i clicked twice on Save all Changes to be sure)

As much as I'd like to enjoy the game in its current, for now, I simply can't. You obviously did a very good job at coding the game given you're all alone in this adventure, but the current database prevents me from enjoying the game completely. I started a game with a small created label and signed Muse, Jamie Foxx and the X-Factor winner. All three of them managed to get a #1 in the United States and there's only one thing that can explain that. Most of the implanted labels are poor and don't have enough money to sign big names (Beyonce, Jay-Z, Rihanna and so on). I tried to correct this situation by editing the database, but as I've explained in the paragraph above, I simply can't. Another thing that bothers me is the fake artists added in the game. I don't think it's plausible for a Nacho Guzman from Antigua to out-sell Justin Bieber in the United States when they both release their single on the same week and they're both pop artists!

Keep in mind that I think you did a fantastic job for the game, but because of the current state of the available database, I can't completely enjoy the game. I tried to rally people to all work together on a more complete database, but nobody seems to be interested.

The strange for me is ive used the editor for all edits and never had a problem, literally everything was added with it and all additional features because I thought useful.

Please let me know.

Can you add one artist, save artists and db is ok?

Same for awards?

Celebrities?

If it crashed on you, what error message does it give you?

Guest marco999

It never crash and I can add everything, but no matter what I do, it doesn't seem to correctly save

Explain correctly save to me.

See screen1 and 2

Screen one saves to tempory memory for the session and screen 2 shows when saved to the db.

Are you following this sequence?

Guest marco999

Yes, I'm always doing these two steps and I tried 10 times to save and I went to check if the changes were made and 6 times out of 10 it worked.

Guest marco999

Nevermind, I was able to find a solution.

If you run to the game on adminstrator mode, it always saves :)

Guest marco999

I'm the only user on my computer, but if I go to R2S program properties and check always run on administrator mode, the issue disappears.

I don't think its reasonable to expect Mark to include a comprehensive real life database for a game that's free.  This is something the community can do if some members feel it is needed.  This is how it has worked with similar games down the years ( I remember a number of mods for chart wars 3 back in the day all created by different people)

Guest marco999

I don't think its reasonable to expect Mark to include a comprehensive real life database for a game that's free.  This is something the community can do if some members feel it is needed.  This is how it has worked with similar games down the years ( I remember a number of mods for chart wars 3 back in the day all created by different people)

I know its impossible for him to create a real life database if the game is free. As an example, none of the sponsors are real, but it doesn't bother me, it's easily editable, but I criticize the fake artists forcefully inserted in the game. I don't think it's fair when you're playing as Eminem to sell less records than a fake Portuguese rapper in the United States and to lose a Grammy to a fake Lebanon rapper who has 100 ability. There's also a lack of polish when it comes to the database. Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross are there, but none of the American late night shows are in the game. Ellen DeGeneres is a man and not contracted to her show, X-Factor is in the game, but none of the judges are and that's just what's crossing my mind. I think it would have been beneficial for the game to have a more polished database instead of the gossip show, because it's almost a miracle for it to involve a real life talent and not two random Kenyan pop singers.

I understand Mark is working all alone on this game and he did a tremendous job for the game in general and I'm happy to play it, but these little details bother me. I've asked the community for their help in the database, but not many people expressed interest. I love the game, I truly do, but I want it to be even better.

I know its impossible for him to create a real life database if the game is free. As an example, none of the sponsors are real, but it doesn't bother me, it's easily editable, but I criticize the fake artists forcefully inserted in the game. I don't think it's fair when you're playing as Eminem to sell less records than a fake Portuguese rapper in the United States and to lose a Grammy to a fake Lebanon rapper who has 100 ability. There's also a lack of polish when it comes to the database. Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross are there, but none of the American late night shows are in the game. Ellen DeGeneres is a man and not contracted to her show, X-Factor is in the game, but none of the judges are and that's just what's crossing my mind. I think it would have been beneficial for the game to have a more polished database instead of the gossip show, because it's almost a miracle for it to involve a real life talent and not two random Kenyan pop singers.

I understand Mark is working all alone on this game and he did a tremendous job for the game in general and I'm happy to play it, but these little details bother me. I've asked the community for their help in the database, but not many people expressed interest. I love the game, I truly do, but I want it to be even better.

Let me give you an idea exactly why this happens.

I know I cannot sit here and produce 2000 artists and make the database balanced enough for various things to work so I have to think what can I do. So random artists yes, random artists that cover the continents/countries yes, multiple criteria to try and add realism yes. UK is more prone to have certain genres such as indie but Afgan artists are unlikely to do indie music. Age ranges, balance of sexs, maybe one genre prefers one sex to other.

What people dont like is people they dont know but for this game to work they must exist unless someone produces a well balance genre list of artists/bands.

I have to think of the bigger picture im afraid.

Finally data entry mistakes will always happen, those I will correct as and when mentioned.

Cant wait to see any databases you (or others) produce, it will be great to see and play games with them.